Thursday, March 20, 2008

stars and stripes: huntsville, al (installment 1)

Welcome to the sprawling Southern metropolis of Huntsville, Alabama. Although rich in heritage and cultural history, Huntsville has its sights set firmly on the stars, dreaming of a brilliant tomorrow to rival its storied past. We take pride in what we do, and (coincidentally) we do it well. Yes, this truly is the stuff that dreams are made of.

This will be the first of five installments in the "Where Are They Now: The Stars and Stripes of Huntsville, Alabama" series, featuring the meteoric rise of local talent from 2002-present. The first artist on our tour of Huntsville's rich musical past is a hardworking group of young men currently performing under the name, Thomas Function. Variously billed in the past as The Panic Buttons, Alabama Jihad, Le Espionage, Magazine Love and featuring a rotating set of players, they do us a great honor with their patriotic and respectful performances, delighting old and young members of the community alike. Recently, as Thomas Function, these local heroes have sung the heavenly sounds of their gospel far beyond the borders of their beloved Madison County. They will always call Alabama home, but it seems that distant galaxies are now within their reach! Good luck on your journey, boys!

Alabama Jihad (2002-2005) (?)


"Ruthless and energetic enough to make a clean sweep."
     - Benito Mussolini

Demo 2003

 02. 






   03. 






     04. 







tbc...

Thomas Function (2005-Present)

(Look How They've Grown!)

Celebration! [2008]

 05. 






   06. 






     07. 







tbc...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings from a fellow Huntsvillian, born and bred in the Rocket City. I was drawn to your blog when I came across the Alan Price post. Thank for that by the way.

bildo said...

Hey, thanks! As you can see, I'm still trying to get things going. I think I have more unfinished posts than finished ones, but it's definitely encouraging to know that somebody's reading this. Also, I've received another copy of Savaloy Dip in the mail, and I haven't compared the two directly yet, but the new one sounds noticeably cleaner, so I'll be reposting a more listenable copy of that when I get around to it. Stick around, and thanks for commenting!

Anonymous said...

I'm back again to comment on the Beach Boys post. I've been a Beach Boys fan since the early 70's. I had enjoyed their early stuff but when I heard "Holland" for the first time it blew me away. Anything B.B. related fascinates me so thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, the previous post was by me, Steve.