Monday, March 03, 2008

l'enfant assasin des mouches

Thank you, Wazoo Records employee. As of recently, I have a new hobby. It goes something like this... I walk into a record store and ask the person behind the counter to recommend something good. Inevitably, he or she will not do as I've asked, but instead, ask a question in return. "Well, what kind of music are you interested in?" or "Could you name some artists that you like?" No, no, no. I want to hear something that you think is good, not something that you suppose I will enjoy based on my reported listening habits. Anyway, this is the result of my latest visit to Wazoo Records in Ann Arbor, MI. The goal of any of these excursions is to walk out of the record store with a new treasure, having learned as little about it as possible while purchasing it. Anyway, three steps outside of the store and I look down at the packaging..."Shit!" I don't know if you can tell from the picture or not, but the cover of this thing reads like an advert in a music magazine. The first couple of bolded entries that my eyes amble across convey something very troubling. "I am an idiot, I have just re-bought an album that I already own." Fortunately, this turned out not to be the case, but please bear with me for a moment as I attempt to recreate my visual experience for you...

FROM THE ARRANGER OF
"L'HISTOIRE DE MELODY NELSON"
COMES THE PSYCHEDELIC SYMPHONY THAT
INSPIRED THE WRITINGS OF
SERGE GAINSBOURG
WHICH TURNS OUT NOT TO BE THE ALBUM JUST MENTIONED
BUT SOMETHING BY SOME OTHER GUY,
JEAN CLAUDE VANNIER
AND IT IS CALLED
l'enfant assasin des mouches

Thank you, and I applaud you for your patience...

Anyway, I do consider myself a big Gainsbourg fan, and the arrangements on "Melody Nelson" are clearly the best of his career; needless to say, I quickly and brutally clawed my way through the cellophane wrapping to get at the liners.

To be continued...

1 comment:

Holly A Hughes said...

Mmmmmm. Serge Gainsbourg -- love him! I'll be interested to hear what it was like.